Monday, 25 May 2015

Poetry Cards

A while ago I created these poetry cards using poems from the public domain for some grammar work, which I thought I would share with you.

These could be used in a number of ways, for example copy work, recital, reading, study and so forth.
For children who are able to symbolise the parts of speech it is important that they practice on a variety of text types so they can discover patterns and see the differences between texts. With poetry it can really open the child to the mechanics of poetry, illustrating some of the concepts making them easier to grasp. This can lead to some great conversations and comparisons.


  
The poetry file is available HERE.

Linking to Montessori Monday  


Montessori Monday

6 comments:

  1. My only problem is that I don't know where to find what the correct parts of speech are! I can work it out once I know the answers, but it's hard to find works of literature that have the parts of speech. Do you know of a resource? Do you actually provide your children with a control sheet for these poems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also fond it difficult when I first started my training because I was not taught these things explicitly (was not en vogue at the time!) so I would use the dictionary and the context of the sentence to figure it out. The more you do it the easier it becomes - and doing with your child (or the students) is great because you get to discuss why or why not something is an adjective or adverb (etc). For independent symbolic grammar work you would have the sentence or poem in an envelope with the correct symbols required to carry out the task (that's the control of error). Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. I printed these out to use with my son - has a couple of these memorized from previous studies he's done. He is looking them up again, but I wonder if there are different sources for these? The ones he has memorized don't seem to match what is in his poetry resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, I imagine there are quite a few sources for these older poems out there. Some of these I took from an old poetry book from the early 1900s and the others from one of my grandmothers old poetry books (also of the same era, all in the public domain).

      Delete
  3. I shot an arrow into the air,
    It fell to earth, I knew not where;
    For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
    Could not follow it in its flight.

    I breathed a song into the air,
    It fell to earth, I knew not where;
    For who has sight so keen and strong,
    That it can follow the flight of song?

    Long, long afterward, in an oak
    I found the arrow, still unbroke;
    And the song, from beginning to end,
    I found again in the heart of a friend.

    ReplyDelete